Date: Feb 11, 2005 10:39 AM
Author: mj
Subject: low ability fifth graders

I work with a fifth grade teacher who teaches a "low ability" level
fifth grade class. Although we are implementing Investigation K-2,
these fifth grade students have not have instruction in Investigations
prior to this year They have worked through the first couple modules
fairly well, but are struggling mightily with the Name that Portion
module. They don't seem to have a conceptual idea of what 1/2 , 1/4,
1/8 is, and so when they are asked to work though problems comparing
fractions and percents, they are not thinking logically at all. We're
not sure where to go from here. Do we go back and have them cut up
brownies like they would have done in 3rd grade in Investigations, so
do we just keep plowing ahead? Any advice would be much appreciated.