Date: Jun 17, 2005 8:07 AM
Author: Wes Shumar
Subject: Friday at the Toolfest

Hey everyone,
Its been very interesting being a silent observer of all the activities in this year's Tool Fest. And its really hard to believe that it is Friday already. I've particularly liked reading over the concert chat sessions and looking at the work people have done in that format. I'll be real interested to hear more of your feedback on that tool.

Speaking of which, I'd like to do some individual interviews with you all after the Tool Fest somewhat like the little group sessions we did at last year's Tool Fest. For those of you who have been at both Tool Fests, I'd like to hear a little about the comparison and what you have been doing between the Tool Fests. For everyone I'd like to get your feedback on this Tool Fest and on your work with Math Tools even if your a pretty new contributor to Math Tools. I'll be emailing you all an invitation to talk with me soon after the workshop.

I really like Jeff's question of the day today. http://mathforum.org/mathtools/discuss.html?context=all&do=m&thread=_____g-73 This is an issue that we all have thought about a lot at The Math Forum. I'll be very interested in your discussion on the topic.

I am also very excited about Ihor's stories session that is happening today. http://mathforum.org/workshops/toolfest05/stories.html Ever since the Math Forum staff started to think about including stories as part of the Math Tools site I thought that was a great idea. Teachers, students and other math enthusiasts need ways to imagine how to use new tools and new ideas for teaching, learning and thinking about math. What a great asset having a collection of stories are to give individuals ways to imagine their own mathematical life.

Kristin's session on Ratios and Other Flash Tools also promises to be a very interesting session. There are some things on her page to look over this morning and before 2PM EDT http://mathforum.org/workshops/toolfest05/flash.html Then there will be some discussion and other activities between 2 and 4PM so you should return to the flash url to check out all that will be going on. Looks like a lot of very rich and interesting stuff. It should be a great event.

I am looking forward to seeing all the work that you all produce today. And I am looking forward to talking with you all about Tool Fest. Have a great day,
Wes