Date: Jan 3, 2006 10:34 PM
Author: Patricia Murphy
Subject: Combining weather songs or poems with Math graphs/charts

Claudia Southworth, a retired teacher in my area, shared several handouts at an inservice I attended on which the words to a song or poem about weather were printed in the top section of the page, a bar graph or chart was added underneath that, and, when there was enough room to do so, a small section in which students could tally the weather patterns was included at the bottom of the page.

I've used most of the poems and songs that she picked out before in a Poetry binder my students and I use during Shared Reading, and sometimes followed the readings with a Math lesson that used weather graphs, but I hadn't thought of putting the songs and poems on the same page as the Math charts. Some of you might appreciate
hearing about this idea, too. It certainly ties in with Calendar Math activities.

Here's the the words to one of the songs that Claudia either condensed herself, or copied from another source, and used for a December exercise. This song works just as well for January. [The original song is called "Look Outside" See bottom of this note for the full lyrics.
I'm not sure who wrote it. I've seen it posted on a couple websites without any credit being given.] Underneath the words of the song, the worksheet had a bar graph with
pictures of the sun, clouds, raindrops, and snowflakes.

------------------
Look Outside
sung to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"

Look outside now, can you say
What the weather is today?
Is there sunshine, is there rain,
Is there snow on the windowpane?
Are there clouds up in the sky?
You can tell me if you try.
---------------------------------

Here are 4 poems that she used on separate sheets for the January exercise. You'll see why I also included the song lyrics after you read them. Under the words to each one, were directions to the students to draw a picture of that type of weather day in January, and a place for them to tally the days:

Today we can go outside
And have a lot of fun.
Because today's weather
Calls for SUN.

Today we'll look up in the sky
To see white puffs in crowds.
Because today's weather
Calls for CLOUDS.

Today we'll dress up warmly
To watch the white flakes blow.
Because today's weather
Calls for SNOW.

Today we'll watch the water
Splash on the windowpane.
Because today's weather
Calls for RAIN.

-------------------------
Look Outside Song
sung to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

Look outside now, can you say
What the weather is today?
Is there sunshine, is there rain?
Is wind blowing down the lane?