Date: Sep 30, 2006 3:09 PM
Author: Udai Venedem
Subject: [HM] Catalogue Fourier - an announcement

Dear all Listers,
I am pleased to announce the exhibition of an exclusive collection of
ten works (book and pamphlets, some of them very exclusive) by

(Jean-Baptiste-) Joseph FOURIER (1768 - 1830)

to be seen at

http://aaaa.fr.eu.org/alta.mathematica/

It deals with the two main discoveries made by Fourier, namely his
Series-Transform (of which we should celebrate the bicentennial), and
his pioneer work on Linear programming.

It highlights 3 important items:
- the "undiscoverable" article of March, 1808 at the Philomathique.
- a Theorie analytique de la chaleur (1822) with an interesting
pedigree.
- a special issue (1824), "for the Happy Few", of the Analyse des
travaux for the year 1823, where the bases for LP are clearly settled.

And also two nice monthly "as issued" July 1826 Philomathique and
Ferussac Bulletins.

With exclusive views of the Chateau de Beauregard, the place where
Fourier used to retreat at summer time, and where we suggest he found
the mathematical part of his theory of heat.

Udai Venedem