Date: Mar 19, 2004 5:23 PM
Author: Tim Brauch
Subject: Re: Hex Win Proof?

j_welton@hotmail.com (Jonathan Welton) wrote in
news://3dfcbf81.0403191414.33bb386a@posting.google.com:

> Neither of the proofs (which are basically the same) posted so far is
> correct. Both would apparently conclude that a winning path would be
> formed on a squared board, whereas this is not the case - a squared
> board could end in a draw.
>
> An actual proof must use the hex nature of the board or,
> alternatively, that 3 cells meet at each vertex. A proof is given in
> Cameron Browne's book Hex Strategy, but whether it would convince an
> intelligent layman is not clear.
>
> Maybe a simpler proof could be achieved by induction?
>
> Jonathan Welton

I wasn't assuming a square board, I was imagining the board set up like
a parallelogram. At least, that is how I orientate the board when I
play. Then red goes top to bottom and blue goes left to right (red and
blue because the board I made uses poker chips).

What would be more interesting is trying to explain to a lay person that
whoever goes first should win, unless they screw it up. That is why
whenever I play, I always go second. If I lose, it was destined.

- Tim

--
Timothy M. Brauch
Graduate Student