Date: Apr 7, 2008 6:30 PM
Author: Von Glitschka
Subject: Seeking Math Professional for Q&A about "Art of Math"

My name is Von R. Glitschka I am a graphic designer and illustrator here in Oregon, USA. I am in the process of writing and creating a book on illustrative patterns for HOW Publishing. This book will contain over '80' illustrative patterns. The book is geared for graphic designers, illustrators and even hand-made gift designers.

I've been researching online for the past few months trying to find a math professional who would be willing to answer some questions about geometry, tessellations, tiling as it relates to patterns and nature as well as a few other more creative oriented questions regarding patterns in general that will appeal to the graphic design industry. I would then work it into my introduction for the book.

Ideally I'd like to find someone who specializes in the math behind patterns and can share some insight into the topic. Also if this person was willing to do so I'd like him/her to write a short forward to the book that would address "The Art of Math" in context of patterns.

The reason for this forward topic is when ever someone has asked me "How I got into this industry (Design/Illustration) I've always said it was due to my fear of math." I say that jokingly but on some levels it's true and over the past decade I've come to realize and appreciate the artistic beauty behind math and how it does tie into design and specifically patterns.

If you are willing to be interviewed? Or if you know of another math professional at another college or a friend who teaches else where who could contribute I'd appreciate any leads.

If you'd like to see samples of the patterns I have designed so far just email me at: von@glitschka.com and I'll share them with you. Of course when the book comes out I'd give you or your department multiple copies.

Von