Date: Jul 21, 2008 11:30 PM
Author: gWilkie@highlands.com
Subject: post 8th grade on IA regents

 7/21/08
To all,
I got a response from SED in regards to post 8th March performance
indicators and being placed on the Integrated Algebra regents. I sent the
following back to them quick e mail ... I am concerned about the part that
says: "there are foundational mathematics skills and knowledge that
students are expected to learn in Grade 8, both pre- and post- March, that
are needed for the three Regents Examinations in mathematics".

As always, Grace Wilkie

Candy,

Thanks for the response but you did not answer the question. Will
"Constructions" from the post March 8th grade performance indicators be on
the Integrated Algebra regents? A "yes" or "no" would be appreciated.

Grace A. Wilkie

"Candy Shyer" <[ mailto:CSHYER@MAIL.NYSED.GOV ]CSHYER@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
writes:

Dear Ms. Wilkie:

I am responding to your question asking if "Constructions and other post
March items be tested on the future Integrated Algebra exam?"

Answer: The questions on the Regents Examination in Integrated Algebra
assess both the content and process strands of the Mathematics Learning
Standard. Because each question is aligned to a specific content strand,
students are assessed on their conceptual understanding, procedural
fluency and problem-solving abilities. The Test Specifications outline
the percentage of total credits that will be aligned with each content
strand and can be found at: [ http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/osa/new-math.htm
]http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/osa/new-math.htm. The coverage of the Regents
Examination in Integrated Algebra is not being expanded to incorporate
topics such as those you mention. However, there are foundational
mathematics skills and knowledge that students are expected to learn in
Grade 8, both pre- and post- March, that are needed for the three Regents
Examinations in mathematics.

Just as a reminder, the Department has established an e-mail address
dedicated solely to questions regarding the content and administration of
the new mathematics assessments and the transition from Mathematics A and
Mathematics B to Integrated Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra 2/Trigonometry.
Please ask teachers to use the e-mail address [
mailto:emscreminfo@mail.nysed.gov ]emscreminfo@mail.nysed.gov for the
quickest response to questions on these topics.

I hope this information answers your question. Sincerely, Candy Shyer

Candace Shyer
Bureau Chief, Test Development
Office of State Assessme nt
518-474-5900
[ mailto:cshyer@mail.nysed.gov ]cshyer@mail.nysed.gov

>>> "Wilkie" <[ mailto:gwilkie@highlands.com ]gwilkie@highlands.com>
7/6/2008 8:36 PM >>>
John,

I know that the Integrated Algebra Regents is coordinated with the
Performance Indicators.

I heard a rumor that the test is being expanded to incorporate the post
Math 8 topics (ie Constructions). Will Constructions and other post March
items be tested on the futureIntegrated Algebra exam?

If so will the SED be putting out a new directive before September with
all the topics which will be tested and the percentage of points for each
topic?

Concerned that many teachers will not be teaching and/or reviewing the
post March 8th performance items and our kids will be the ones affected.

As always,
Grace A. Wilkie
[ mailto:gwilkie@highlands.com ]gwilkie@highlands.com