Date: Sep 19, 2008 12:39 AM
Author: stephanie
Subject: Re: second largest element in a matrix

"Oluwa KuIse" <wespeakforex@yahoo.com> wrote in message <gav3p9$som$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hello,
> Can anyone pls tell me how I can find the second (or third) largest element in a matrix AND its position. The max function gives the largest element and its position but how do I find the second largest element and its position?

There are 2 rudimentary ways that I can think of off the top of my head...none of them are optimal though..

1. Use max to find the largest element, then set this element to -Inf. Then use max again to find the 'next'(ie, second) largest element and its position.

This method is definitely only a quick heck, and not suitable for looking for the Nth largest element in case N in large.

2. Sort the matrix, then you will know the value of the second largest element, then use 'find' to get the position of this element.

Hope this helps,
stephanie