Date: May 26, 2010 3:57 PM
Author: Valerie Klein
Subject: Re: Financial Categories

I think ideas like this are great and help students get a good handle on what happens and what goes on when trying to sell products and/or run a business.

In my high school we used to sell donuts and soft pretzels to raise money for our prom. I was talking to a coworker recently about this process and how a lot of thought and math goes into thinking about how many donuts/pretzels to buy, what price to set, how much money is made, etc. There is potentially some interesting research work to be done by tweaking the prices and quantities and charting and graphing the results to inform future business decisions. In our case we raised money for the prom, but certainly any kind of fundraiser would work well.

~Valerie