Date: Nov 11, 2000 4:25 PM
Author: Richard Waters
Subject: [ap-stat] voting sample types

Dear colleages, I think I'm getting to this discussion a little late,
but here goes: I was reading a discussion about whether voting results
represents a voluntary response sample, since the voters are people who
care enough to vote. But doesn't this designation rest on a question of
definitions? What is the population of interest here? All adults of
voting age? All registered voters? All 'likely' voters (whoever they
are. The media seems to know)? Only the actual voters' opinion about who
is President really matters (polls don't count), so maybe *they* are the
population of interest. So the vote is not a sample, but actually
represents a census of those opinions that matter. Just a thought.

Rick Waters

---
You are currently subscribed to ap-stat as: archive@forum.swarthmore.edu.
leave-ap-stat-5686751G@list.collegeboard.org
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) Site is at
http://www.ncssm.edu/statsteachers