Date: Jan 12, 2011 8:26 AM
Author: Melanie Raby
Subject: Three Elements Survey – Online Academic Three Elements Survey

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a doctoral candidate with the School of Advanced Studies at the University of Phoenix. I am conducting research on the implementation of calculators in the classroom from secondary teachers in the United States. I would like to ask you to complete the survey with truthful answers. The creation of the Three Elements Survey is specifically for this study. Your participation in this study will help me understand the effect of the perceptions of teachers on the use of calculators in mathematics classrooms.

The researcher, Melanie Raby, will organize the survey results and prepare them for analysis. All responses will remain strictly confidential and anonymous. Responses will only be available to this researcher and her advisors. The reporting of all responses will be a summative format only.

The survey opens with general demographic information about yourself. These demographics are requested to gain a better understanding of the background of secondary teachers participating in this study. A range of responses to these demographic questions is expected. Additionally, the survey will ask various questions about technology and calculator use.

By completing this survey, you are giving consent to be a voluntary participant in this study. While there is no direct benefit to you from participating in this research, your participation will help provide insight into the effects of the implementation of calculators in secondary mathematics classrooms.

There are no known risks to you as a participant in this study. Participation in this study is voluntary and you have the right to withdraw from participation at any time. Additionally, you have the right to skip or not answer any question for any reason.

To start the survey please click this link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/72J7KQY
Alternatively, please copy and paste this link into your internet browser for direct access to the study.

If you would like more information about this study, or have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at (513) 376-8194 or melanieraby@email.phoenix.edu.

Your assistance and participation are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Melanie Raby
Doctoral Candidate, School of Advance Studies, University of Phoenix