Date: Jan 14, 2011 8:18 AM
Author: BAmedro@aol.com
Subject: Re: Common Core Implementation

The SED document
(_http://usny.nysed.gov/rttt/docs/rfi/curriculummodels.html_ (http://usny.nysed.gov/rttt/docs/rfi/curriculummodels.html) ) may be of
help. See excerpt below.
(1) Although a sequenced curriculum is to be available, it is unknown if
districts will be required to use it. My guess is we will, since the state
testing during the year will be aligned to the sequence.
(2) In 2011-2012, we will still be tested on the 2005 standard. After
the NYS assessment, we should begin the new CCSS. We will be first tested on
the CCSS during the 2012-2013 school year.
Barb Amedro
Oswego County BOCES
In July, 2010, the Board of Regents adopted the Common Core State
Standards for ELA and Mathematics, with the understanding that New York State may
make some additions. To support the implementation of these new standards,
New York will develop sequenced, spiraled, content-rich PreK-12 statewide
curriculum models with grade-by-grade performance expectations designed to
promote college and career readiness beginning with ELA and Math. Based on
priorities stated in New York State?s Race to the Top application, these
curriculum models are expected to include:
* Month-by-month learning objectives/student expectations, organized
in thematic units or genre specific modules, which include formative
instruction/assessment strategies to check for student understanding and
specific teaching activities and student tasks further described in the bullets
below. For example, see a similar model design in Louisiana?s Comprehensive
Curriculum at _http://www.doe.state.la.us/lde/saa/2108.html_
(http://www.doe.state.la.us/lde/saa/2108.html)
* Grade-by-grade student expectations (standards and performance
indicators), including the knowledge, skills, and understandings that students
are expected to achieve at each grade;
* Grade-level learning examples, which include developmentally
appropriate instructional strategies and sample tasks to demonstrate how
students can achieve standards, including resources for teachers of students with
disabilities and English language learners;
* Formative instruction/assessment tools at each grade level to
permit teachers to measure ongoing student grade-level achievement;
* Alignment tools to analyze existing programs and resources against
new learning expectations;
* Supplemental curriculum guidance for teachers of English language
learners, students with disabilities, and other student subgroup
populations.

http://usny.nysed.gov/rttt/docs/rfi/curriculummodels.html

In a message dated 01/13/11 9:31:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
sjohnso3@twcny.rr.com writes:

I hope someone can answer two questions for me.

1. Is there going to be a required sequence of topics with a timeline for
each grade?

2. In school year 2011-2012 the achievement expectations are unchanged but
the new curriculum will be taught?
*