Date: May 13, 2011 8:12 AM
Author: Allen Wolmer
Subject: RE:[ap-calculus] Readers (graders)

I know there have already been a few answers to this, and there is validity to some of the comments, but as a relatively new reader, I just wanted to add my two cents. This will be my second year in Kansas City, and I'm looking forward to it. I applied a number of years ago, and waited, just as described by some of you. I don't have a problem with that. Being a reader is very desirable, I was told. Being a reader will make you a better teacher, I was told. Now, I heard that from numerous AP teachers, and I accepted it on faith, but it wasn't until after last year's reading that I really understood it. I came away from last year's reading with a better understanding of how and why questions are created for the exam, a better understanding of just what is being tested, and, most importantly, a much better understanding of how students understand, or misunderstand, calculus. This all has had impact on how I teach, and I'm grateful for it. The six years and out rule is a good one, because it's a good compromise between having a stable, skilled corps of readers, while continually bringing in new teachers. So, patience my friends!
====
Course related websites:
---
To unsubscribe click here: