Date: Jul 28, 2011 8:47 PM
Author: Evelyne Stalzer
Subject: Re: NYS Mathematics Regents Exams

I teach in a NYC public school, and a year or so ago they gave me four
preps. When I demurred, they told me that I could teach the geometry and
honors geometry as the same class so it wouldn't be any more work than three
preps. I pointed out that our contract specifically notes that honors and
non-honors are different classes, and I said that I didn't want to be called
on to explain how I was differentiating the two classes in the future when
all I had was a verbal "teach them the same" from the admin.

Of course, the NYC teaching contract is a small book. :)

In actual practice, there are clearly things in common, but I assigned
different homework, used some different activities, gave different tests,
and otherwise handle honors and non-honors as two separate preps.

Evelyne Stalzer