Date: Aug 25, 2011 1:59 PM
Author: Dave Wang
Subject: RE: re:[ap-stat] Letter Grades.

One of my major teaching goals this year is to shift my Stats class to a project-based learning approach. The first unit is "Exploring and Understanding Data", and the project which guides the unit is "How should Dave compute your grade in this class?" The article on median grading will be an incredibly useful addition to the students' resources, so many thanks to Steve for posting the link.

Two FYI's to put this in a broader context, should you be interested.

1. This is not an AP class, so I have a bit more flexibility in terms of content coverage and pacing than an AP teacher would probably have.
2. Although I have used lots of projects in my classes before, this is the first time I've structured a class around the principles of project-based learning. I'm taking a thoughtful leap off of a very exciting cliff here.

If people are interested, I'd be more than happy to post periodic updates about how the class goes this year.

Many thanks,
Dave Wang
The Bay School of San Francisco