Date: Sep 21, 2004 11:27 AM
Author: Jerry Uhl
Subject: Fwd: Traditionalists Mathematically Right?

>Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:21:15 -0600 (CST)
>From: Jerry Becker <jbecker@SIU.EDU>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <>
>Subject: Traditionalists Mathematically Right?
>[Note: Just received from the West Coast ...]
>(You might recall the recent TPPF-sponsored math textbook review conducted
>by Mathematically Correct, available at
> )
>TPPF = Texas Public Policy Institute
>San Antonio Express News (Texas), Sunday, February 21, 1999
>By Rick Casey
>Are the traditionalists mathematically right?
>As if they weren't already busy enough trying to purify the state
>bureaucracy, privatize VIA's bus operations and revolutionize the Texas
>public school system through vouchers, our friends at the conservative
>Texas Public Policy Foundation have taken on another task.
>They want to teach your children math.
>Well, actually, they don't want to do the teaching themselves. They just
>want to tell your children's math teachers how to teach.
>TPPF has become, in effect, the Texas arm of a California-based movement
>called "Mathematically Correct." This organization wants to take America
>back to traditional ways of teaching math methods based on teaching kids
>the right formulas so they can get the right answers.
>The group accuses the "educational establishment," and particularly the
>National Science Foundation, of using soft-headed, feel-good methods that
>dumb down the curriculum.
>TPPF officials have gone before editorial boards, lobbied school boards
>over textbook selection and made the case for "classical" math education
>through their Web site.
>In a recent op-ed piece in this newspaper, Anne Newman, president of the
>San Antonio-based Texas Family Research Center, cited the TPPF Web page in
>arguing for traditional math. Well she should. Much of her piece was taken
>from the Web site.
>She criticized a training program in which teachers were tossed a beach
>ball printed as a globe and asked to remember where their right indexes
>were when they caught it. This was an example of an exercise in which
>students could learn probabilities--in this case, the probability of a
>meteorite crashing on land as opposed to water.
> Mathematically Correct named themselves, apparently with no sense of
>irony. They have several things in common with the left-wing politically
>Both include intelligent, well- intentioned people. Both are ideologically
>based. Both are intolerant of those who think differently.
>And while the politically correct have an idealized view of the future,
>Mathematically Correct has an idealized view of the past.
>If you're old enough to have been taught under traditional methods, as I
>am, just ask yourself this: Was math a subject in which your average
>classmate felt he or she could perform well? Or was math considered
>the sole domain of the brainiest?
>Mathematically Correct cites studies to show the superiority of
> [...]

Jerry Uhl
Professor of Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Member, Mathematical Sciences Education Board of National Research Council

Calculus&Mathematica, DiffEq&Mathematica, Matrices,Geometry&Mathematica,
NetMath and

"Is it life, I ask, is it even prudence,
To bore thyself and bore the students?"

. . . Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

To UNSUBSCRIBE from the calc-reform mailing list,
send mail to:

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.