Date: Feb 16, 2012 3:49 PM
Author: Daryl
Subject: Ratio of square sizes

So I'm out of my league on this math problem. I'll try to explain as simply as possible. Any help would be awesome. This is a piece of Javascript I am writing but the math is my issue.

I have a template that is built on a 4200 x 4200 square. That template draws squares based on coordinates contained within that template. {L,T,R,B} The template can be applied to any document size {activeDocument}. If that document size is not square, my ratios are off.

Here are my formulas.

wd = width of template
hd = height of template

maxWidth = (activeDocument.width)/2; //width of active document divided in half
maxHeight = activeDocument.height; //height of active document

ratioRec = wd/hd; //aspect ratio of template
ratioView = maxWidth/maxHeight; //aspect ratio of document

ratio = ratioView/ratioRec;
ratioW = maxWidth/wd;
ratioT = (maxHeight/hd);

//Sizing variables, this is where the problem is
left = (left * ratioW);
right = (right * ratioW) ;
top = (top * ratioT);
bottom = (bottom * ratioT) ;

Thanks for any help you might have on this. If something is not clear or need more information, please let me know.

Thanks