Date: Mar 15, 2012 5:39 PM
Author: Angela Kincaid
Subject: Re: [ap-calculus] CPM

I personlly do NOT believe CPM is rigorous enough for college bound
students. While it is very accessible for students with lower math
aptitudes, it is very watered down and does not teach proper mathematical
terms. This causes difficulty when they get to a traditional type setting,
as they're constantly behind the vocabulary curve.

We also use CPM for Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2. For Precalc & Calc
I chose the Hughes-Hallett books, because they are very conceptual and do
provide opportunities for the students to really think about things and
explain themselves.

In my experience, however, students don't really think about things and how
they're applied. They want to get it DONE, not understand it. They want
an A, not an education. It's incredibly frustrating. Most of my AP Calc
students can't graph a line in the form y = mx + b. It makes me want to
tear my hair out!

--
Sincerely,

Angela Kincaid