Date: Mar 22, 2012 1:25 PM
Author: Jared Derksen
Subject: Re:[ap-stat] 30 and the Central Limit Theorem

Chris:

This is helpful. And interesting! As usual, your reference knowledge is
impressive.

So does a more nuanced explanation go like this?

There are some mathematical and historical reasons to believe that when n >
30, this is a safe point at which to believe that a sample mean is becoming
approximately normal.

However, we still like to graph our data, when possible, as an indication
of how skewed the population might be. And how confident we are that the
mean we are working with has an approximately normal distribution.

And the practice switching from t to z at 30 (or 40) is an artifact of a
lack of inadequate technology. Now that we can easily compute t for any
sample size, there is no need act as if something magically changes at 30.

Is that more complete?

Cheers!

JD

--
Jared Derksen

I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to
follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. --David
Thorne

Frequently asked questions(FAQ) http://web.me.com/mrmathman/MrMathMan/FAQ.html
---
To unsubscribe click here: