Date: Apr 3, 2012 2:52 PM
Author: Stuart M Newberger
Subject: Re: Riemannian Metric Topology

On Apr 2, 9:31 pm, Jeff Rubin <JeffBRu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, April 2, 2012 1:57:45 AM UTC-7, smn wrote:

> > > Yes, I did stipulate early in the post that the original manifold topology
> > > was assumed to be Hausdorff.- Hide quoted text -

> > Hello again. Yes I think you need to assume that the Hausdorf manifold
> > topology is regular .As you might know it would sufice to assume that
> > the topology had a countable base (hence metrizable) ;or that the
> > manifold was finite dimensional ,thus locally compacct,thus regular.
> >  A Hilbert space is a Reimannian manifold and not necessarily 2nd
> > countable ,what page does AM say this in Foundations of mechanics .His
> > manifolds are all 2nd countble ,in fact finite dimensional I think.
> > Infinite dimensional manifolds are often subsets of a Banach space
> > hence metrizable.
> >     Anyway if assuming regular gets you through all this by all means
> > assume it -neatly adding it as an additional hypothesis .Lang
> > sometimes forgets to say things-the book you are reading grew from an
> > older one and the older one didn't have the Riemannian part -but he
> > didn't rewrite the older part.
> > Its good stuff though. Regards,smn

> Hi smn.
>
> AM Foundations of Mechanics 2nd Edition Copyright 1978 Sixth Printing
> October 1987 page 128:
>
> "Recall that we include second countable in our definition of a manifold. It
> is interesting that a manifold which admits a Riemannian metric (or a
> connection) must be second countable (see Abraham [1963])."
>
> The only entry in the references for Abraham 1973 is:
>
> Abraham, R. 1963.a Transversality in manifolds of mappings. Bull. Am. Math.
> Soc. 69 (4):470-474
>
> So your point is well taken: a Hilbert space as a manifold has a trivial
> Riemannian metric, yet needn't be separable and therefore needn't be
> second countable. So what could AM have been assuming?
>
> Now, are you saying that a Hausdorff space which has a countable base is
> metrizable? There are counterexamples in "Steen and Seebach, Counterexamplex
> in Topology", for example #60 Relative Prime Integer Topology and
> #61 Prime Integer Topology. Or are you saying that being a manifold or having
> a Riemannian metric adds some other condition? What would that condition be?
> AM's definition of manifold does not include being finite dimensional.
>
> I'm hesitant to assume regularity since not only Lang but AMR also doesn't
> assume it. I feel like I'm missing something obvious.- Hide quoted text -

Hello. I am sorry,I misquoted Urysons' theorem,- a REGULAR ,Hausdoff
topological space with a countable base (i.e. 2nd countable) is
metrizable . Thats not too relavent.
The quote on P128 of AM must be assuming that the manifold is modeled
on a 2nd countable (ie separable) Banach space which would let my
example out of the picture .The Banach space might even be finite
dimensional. Good Luck smn