Date: May 30, 2012 10:09 AM
Author: John D'Errico
Subject: Re: Undefined function or variable - for no reason...

"√ėyvind" wrote in message <jq57d4$8be$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> John:
> You are right, it is possible to have the same name and make it work. BUT it is also a chance that this will produce errors that are hard to figure out.
>
> Here is an explanation: http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-3NP7VQ/index.html
>
> Oyvind

Of course. Name conflicts are always a potential problem. But
it is silly to expect me to know every possible toolbox, and
every existing function name in every toolbox I do not own.

MATLAB does NOT have a problem with me naming a function
something even though they have already used that name in
some toolbox I've never seen or intend to use. That would be
insane.

In fact, I can happily name a function with the same name
as an existing function, as long as I am cognizant of what
I've done, and take care that it does not cause a problem.
Yes, this is dangerous, and even often foolish, but still
possible.

John