Date: Jun 1, 2012 4:33 PM
Author: Anna Roys
Subject: Re: How Bad it Is

Gary,

Thank you for finding my comments refreshing.

I do think that working for mastery is a very honorable goal - so working
to become an above average school is an idea which should be commended.
This philosopy often gets students and parents annoyed with me as I often,
have students re-do assignments and they do not at first understand why I
insist on it. They say, "I already did my work why do I have to do it
again? I did my best." I do not mean to suggest that they did not do their
best work at the time, just that it can be improved. I tell them, "So now
that you know what you did wrong - fix it." I try to nurture a new thinking
disposition in my students - that working for excellence and achieving it
is a valuable gift that we can only give to ourselves.

Anna