Date: Jun 26, 2012 9:23 AM
Author: Joe Niederberger
Subject: Re: How would YOU simplify arithmetic?

Haim's quip about ten irrugular names I first saw in the thread he referenced -- Jonathan Crabtree appears nowhere.
Somebody calling himself "Grasshopper" initiated the thread with exactly the "two-tens-three" sort of idea borrowed from Chinese.

Perhap's Haim was in fact referring to some earlier discussion I missed. If so, then I apologize. It wasn't at all clear.

Like Haim and you, I agree that some costly campaign for change that wastes resources and causes confusion is completely non-productive. What I think is that a study by someone like Karen Fuson (who is quoted in Galdwell's book) is certainly worthwhile.

Joe N