Date: Jul 28, 2012 9:45 PM
Author: Anna Roys
Subject: Re: Solomon Garfunkel on Common Core Standards

While I have not researched how the new Common Core Math Standards were created, I am busy this summer getting acquainted with the  CC Grade 6-8 Math standards as I will teach these grade levels this year. The State of Alaska has not adopted Common C ore yet,  however, Anchorage School District where I am employed has adopted them. (What I have noted  is that in many cases in the CC standards are higher than Alaska Standards Grad e Level Equivalencies so I am happy about that.) I have been reviewing Pearson Prentice Hall Middle Grades Courses 1-3 for alignment  and  possible use. I teach at a  public charter school  where curriculum  decisions are made by the teachers.  I would greatly appreciate  specific recommendations on the content in CC Math standards as far as how I might work to exceed rather than just meet these standards. I would be happy to have curriculum recommendations, too. Thank you so much, Anna