Date: Aug 4, 2012 9:15 PM
Author: dennis roberts
Subject: Re: [ap-stat] Grad School Question

On 8/4/2012 1:46 PM, Erick Gremlich wrote:

First, I think it's great that you want to continue your education ...
at the graduate level. I wish you the best in that endeavor. I do think
however that you really need to think about the main reason for doing
this ... especially if it is mainly to put you in a better knowledge
frame of mind to work in APstat. Do you need a masters degree to have a
better base for this?

> Because of that I have been considering a completely online program,
> and I have found such programs at the University of Washington, Penn
> State, and Texas A&M.

I think all are decent ... the real issue is ... how good do you think a
totally online masters degree program will be? No students to work with
... no on campus environment ... and many other issues. If you want to
be able to show others you now have a masters degree in stat, will they
fully recognize an online program? If you really are hoping that this
degree will be the springboard to something even higher ... either more
grad training or for some other academic position ... you have to decide
if an online degree will be viewed by those evaluating your credentials
in a positive way. Think carefully about this.

> Questions - (1) are there other online Statistics programs you know of
> that I should consider?;

If what you really want is more training to help you with your APstat
teaching ... you might think of online courses that seem to fit the bill
w/o trying to do the masters. stat.com and others have short online
courses ... and there are of course summer workshops that could help.
There is also a ton of stuff on the internet ... that you might peruse
thru in some systematic way.

> Another question - I have found scholarships and grants for either
> teachers studying teaching, or statisticians studying statistics, but
> I have not found anything for teachers studying statistics (for the
> sake of teaching it), at least not in the dollar amount that would
> help me afford such a Masters program. Do you have any suggestions?

I think you will find it very hard to get financial aid if you are
taking an online degree. It's very likely that aid in this area would
most likely be for being a TA ... to help with teaching intro stat
classes AT the college/university.

Frequently asked questions(FAQ) http://mrmathman.com/faq
ap-stat resources: http://apstatsmonkey.com
---