Date: Aug 9, 2012 7:55 PM
Author: Paul A. Foerster
Subject: Re: [ap-calculus] I have an exchange student from China. How can I help him?

Elizabeth, et al. -

I'm not sure that this information will be helpful to you, but here goes
anyway.

At the AP Annual Conference in Orlando last month I met eight teachers
from Beijing. One is Chunyan Liu, the mathematics coordinator for the High
School Affiliated to Beijing Normal University. Her email that she gave me
is

liuchunyan@bjsdfz.wm

You might want to email her for suggestions about your student from China.

Best wishes to you and your students as you embark on a new school year!

Paul
Teacher Emeritus of Mathematics
Alamo Heights High School
San Antonio

----------------------

Elizabeth.Warner@prca-tucson.org wrote:

> Tomorrow is the first day of school, and I just found out that I will have
> a student from China in class. They want me to assess him and make sure he
> is placed correctly. I don't even know what math looks like in China! Do
> any of you have recommendations on a language-neutral way to make an
> assessment?

> I had a student from Germany last year, and she had a very different
> understanding of trig ratios, which caused a lot of difficulties at first.
> I would like to avoid any issues like that. Are there any ways that math,
> algebra, precalc, etc are taught in China that I should be aware of?
>
> I hope there are a few experienced teachers out there who can help!
> Thanks!

> Elizabeth Warner

====
Course related websites: