Date: Aug 11, 2012 7:53 PM
Author: Lee Kucera
Subject: Re: [ap-stat] Olympics

NOTE:
This ap-stat EDG will be closing in the next few weeks. Please sign up for the new AP Statistics Teacher
Community Forum at https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started and post messages there.
The Guardian has a site: Alternate Medal Count. You can download data on the countries (population, GDP, team size) as well as medal counts.
lk

On Aug 11, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Heather Pessy wrote:

NOTE:
This ap-stat EDG will be closing in the next few weeks. Please sign up for the new AP Statistics Teacher
Community Forum at https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started and post messages there.
During the opening ceremony, I was also interested in the population of the participating countries and how many athletes they had.

Ask students to find some Olympic data of interest and have them create an describe an appropriate display. My students always produce a few gems when I leave it up to them!

Heather

On Aug 11, 2012, at 2:50 PM, "JAMES J MEDLER" <jmedler@ercsd.k12.ny.us> wrote:

> One great thing you can do is use athlete's ages for box-and-whisker plotys and to determine outliers
>

> medalists in women's 50 meter freestyle since 1988 works well with Dara Torres age 41 silver medal in 2008 being an outlier.

> Hello All,
>
> With many of us starting school now or soon and the Olympics starting to wrap up, does anyone have any lessons using data/stats from the games? I feel like so many concepts could be taught using the Olympics. I loved the article someone posted on the speed of Usain Bolt and noticed other links at the bottom of the article. Those are great visuals for students!

---
To unsubscribe click here:

Lee Kucera
AP Statistics