Date: Sep 8, 2012 9:32 PM
Author: Haim
Subject: Re: Who Are The Education Mafia

Kirby Urner Posted: Sep 8, 2012 4:50 PM

>We agree the NEA exists. I had offices in the same
>building once, in DC (I've just returned from said city,
>though I didn't get in to downtown, saw the "Exorcist
>steps" in Georgetown at least -- near where my friend
>EJA used to live). I confirm it exists.
>
>But does it follow that the rest of your analysis is
>precise?

One step at a time, Kirby. Some people in this forum doubt the existence of the Education Mafia, or so they say. So let us first establish existence. Now, if the NEA were the only active ingredient in American public education, I would not call them the Education Mafia, I would call them the NEA. There are a few other organizations, whose existence is just as easily proved, who together constitute the Education Mafia. But, the NEA is a good place to start.

> Is the Education Mafia necessarily "leftist" and what
>does that mean?

Of course leftism does not necessarily follow from existence. Existence is one issue, leftism another.

>Then lets take Big Publishing. You talk out both sides
>of your mouth saying leftists are stupid to think in
>terms of Wall Street or Big Oil, but then invoke
>precisely these entities to bolster your Education Mafia
>idea.

I said no such thing. I did not say leftists are stupid because they think in terms of Wall Street or Big Oil. I always call leftists stupid. Even stupid leftists will eat their vegetables and brush their teeth before going to bed, so stupid people can do right things, sometimes. In this case, they correctly recognize that whole industries, which are otherwise comprised of competing entities, can have certain, industry-wide, common interests.

In this recognition, the leftists like to use pejorative terms to describe the industry players. Vaguely threatening terms like "Big Oil" and "Big Pharma"---evocative of George Orwell's "Big Brother". When I call the education industry "the Education Mafia", I am just returning the favor.

It seems that some of our leftist friends do not like the taste of their own medicine. \sarcasm on Imagine my chagrin \sarcasm off.

>I used to work in Rockefeller Center in downtown
>Manhattan for McGraw-Hill. Isn't that kind of close to
>Wall Street, even financially?

Not by NYC standards,
http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/72-the-world-as-seen-from-new-yorks-9th-avenue
In the NYC cosmology, Rockefeller Center is in midtown, which is a world apart from downtown (downtown is congruent to "Wall Street").

>Isn't public education a big business? Isn't the private
>sector hugely invested in the future of public
>education? Look at Texas Instruments.

Geez guy! That's what I have been trying to tell you for 10 yrs! As I have stated many times, I tend to focus on the ideologues (ed school professoriate) and the unions, but there are many, many other fingers in the education pie. There are a whole lot of people out there with vested interests in public education as it currently exists. They make a lot of money off it, and they like things just the way they are, and they are going to resist change, if only through sheer inertia, of which there is an enormous amount.

Haim
Shovel ready? What shovel ready?