Date: Sep 26, 2012 2:29 PM
Author: Anna Roys
Subject: Re: True Cost Of Charter Schools

Sharing my opinon on this article shown after my text.

This writer has taken a small sampling of data and then projected
broad generalizations about charter schools. I would encourage readers to
consider the idea that all charter schools are different, as well as, their
relationships and contracts with their authorizer(s) It therefore does not
make sense to me that we could rightfully establish a set called "charter
schools" where broad generalizations could be made.(Not saying that no
similarities exist. For example each one has its own governing board)

Each state has its own charter school laws and in most cases very weak,
where charter school law gets written to patch problems, not as a
comprehensive accountability system, other than requiring NCLB adherence
in varying degrees. For example, some state charter school laws allow non
certified teachers to be hired, while others require the certification and
NCLB "highly qualified" teachers.

Charter schools in Alaska where I am employed as a certified teacher, are
funded less that the traditional public schools, however, not at the state
level, but at the local tax level. In other words our Municipality helps
fund the traditional schools, yet not the charter schools and at the same
time charter school parents pay property and other local taxes, but the
schools their students attend do not get any of the tax dollars they pay
locally.

In Alaska, all charter schools are all public schools following all the
same laws and regulations. Other than the specific "waivers" found in
charter school law that allow freedom of curriculum, schedules, textbooks
and programs for charter schools they are required to operate the same.
Since any resident can start at charter school in my state, some are
opened without great frameworks and fail - these schools are and should be
closed.

My point is that the charter school issues are very complex and not so
easy to accurately generalize like this writer does.

Back to planning more ways to help close the achievement gap within my own
students. In my opinion, that is where the most meaningful work is done.

Anna