Date: Sep 30, 2012 11:21 PM
Author: Haim
Subject: Re: The Prime Directive

Paul A. Tanner, III Posted: Sep 30, 2012 9:53 AM

>Hmmm. So your theory is that whatever views are held by
>a small number of people in power in the entirety of
>an "evil (evil to government-hating conservatives)
>mafia" school system, some people on a local school
>board and its superintendent, are the views held by ALL
>people who are part of that entire "evil mafia" school
>system?

Are you paying any attention, at all? It's a @#$@% STATE LAW that mandates the entrance requirements for three individual New York City public schools.* Do you have any idea how bizarre that is? Do you have any idea how that happens and why? Or is there truly no point whatsoever in having a discussion with you?

In other words, in the late 1960's, the then NYC Board of Education (which later became the Dept of Education) intended to dismantle Stuyvesant High School and her sisters. People who valued the school formed a coalition and lobbied the state. NY State then tied the hands of the BoE with the Hecht-Calandra Act. At least for now, Stuyvesant is protected by a STATE LAW whose only function is to keep the NYC Dept of Public Education ("DOPE") from doing what it wants to do with one of its own schools.

And this means nothing to you?

Haim
No representation without taxation.
*Actually, there are four: Stuyvesant High School, Bronx High School of Science, Brooklyn Technical High School, and the often forgotten but quite excellent Staten Island Technical High School. Five other NYC public high schools are modeled after Stuyvesant, but it is not clear to me if Hecht-Calandra was extended to cover them, or if they are merely modeled after Stuvyesant by the DOPE. As best I can tell (I have not researched them), the other five have not been great successes, which leads me to suppose they are not really protected schools, the DOPE's heart was not in it, and they are but poor imitations.