Date: Oct 2, 2012 10:51 AM
Author: kirby urner
Subject: Re: US teachers are overworked and underpaid

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Paul A. Tanner III <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
> US teachers are overworked and underpaid. Here is some proof:
>
> "Teacher Pay Around the World"
> http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/teacher-pay-around-the-world/

A lot of criteria front load the discussion, by narrowing "teacher" to
exclude (not count) peer teachers on Youtube, corporate trainers,
military trainers, all manner of apprenticeship, and of course with a
lens tightly focused on K-12, biased towards NEA members or whatever.

I'd like to remind the adults in those buildings that they have no
monopoly over that word ("teacher"). I too am a teacher, paid to
teach, with students, and yet I am likely not included in these
statistical studies, because of the narrowing that's gone on in making
the results.

Which is why I think it's OK to tune out a lot of these
salary-and-benefit-minded threads; they're not about teaching and
learning, but about their specific economic circumstances in a
particular civilization, a kind of dumb one, but one that loves to
talk about itself.

If we take a more STEM point of view, lets realize that much may
change on the ground, in terms of what a "school" is, and there's no
reason to assume the status quo has much staying power. It may, but
lets not just assume yakking about NEA business is the talk of the
town. DC maybe, but that's just another city with pretensions to
imperial power (a concentration of severely deluded individuals if you
ask me).

Kirby