Date: Oct 3, 2012 11:57 PM
Author: DCJLEE@AOL.COM
Subject: How to simplify an expression ( * inserted)

Dear Colleagues,

I've noticed through the years that many students had
considerable difficulty simplifying the expression below
on a test in Intermediate Algebra:

[ (6 * r^8 * t) /(-3 * r^2) ]^3

I'm interested in seeing how you think students should
approach this problem, and detailed steps they should
take, along with precise assumptions/formulas they
should know and be able to apply correctly at each step.
Thank you in advance.

John Lee

PS. This is the same submission as before.
Because of the ambiguity perceived by a few respondents,
I've just inserted the * for multiplications.
Hopefully, someone will care to help with detailed steps
until the simplified result is obtained.