Date: Oct 6, 2012 8:35 PM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: US teachers are overworked and underpaid

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:

>>This is about what's best for the kids.
>
> The perfect summary of every failed reform in education (with homogeneous
> classrooms and almost universal social promotion at the top of the list),

Never mind that the top performing countries in the world on PISA
Korea, Finland, and Japan do not allow grade retention. (By the way,
one wonders why hardcore pro-retention types think it's a good idea to
have, say, 10 year old girls hanging out with, say, 13 year old boys.)

> teacher strikes,

Yeah, they're happening every year in every district, aren't they?
Never mind that the teacher strike rate overall nationally over the
long term has been quite a bit lower that it is overall nationally in
the private sector.

> rubber rooms instead of firing horrible teachers,

Yeah, they're in every district, aren't they? Never mind that "rubber
rooms" exist in almost no school district in the country.

Teachers in such places like Korea or Finland or Japan (or community
college teachers in the US, who have about the same hours per week in
front of classes as these countries' k12 teachers, about half that of
k12 public school teachers in the US) are not lazy communist bums
because they have much less working time in front of students and much
more working time not in front of students.

And so we see that all this talk from conservatives that they are
doing what's best for the kids when they push for extracting every
last drop of blood of "teaching hour productivity" from k12 teachers
is just a bunch of cow manure. It proves that the focus of
conservatives in education is not on what is best for the kids but on
something else entirely.