Date: Oct 9, 2012 11:12 AM
Author: Joe
Subject: Mathematical Induction

For the following problem:

2-2*7 + 2 * 7^2 - ? + 2* (-7)^n = (1-(-7)^n+1)/4

I understand that I need to first solve this for P(0). What I font understand is how the left side of the equation is equal to 2. Maybe I'm messing up the sequence of the equation or something but when I do the math I get:

(2-2*7 + 2 * 7^2) + (2* (-7)^0) = 88

If I ignore the first portion and just do (2* (-7)^0) I get 2. I am thinking maybe the math before the ellipses is just a example of a incrementing value of n and the math after the ellipses is the actual function p(). Is this correct?