Date: Oct 9, 2012 8:13 PM
Author: Haim
Subject: Re: Calculus Position Statement - NCTM & MAA

Kirby Urner Posted: Oct 9, 2012 1:02 PM

>Lets just say that the two presenters are not really
>"buying" the concept of race, but they're both avid
>students of it (one a sociologist, the other a population
>biologist, though with mostly non-humans a focus (moths
>don't come in "races")).

How lovely for them. Here is what a responsible voice sounds like,

- ------------------------------
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/DrugSafetyInformationforHeathcareProfessionals/PublicHealthAdvisories/ucm051756.htm
Description of current changes to the Crestor label

In a pharmacokinetic study involving a diverse population of Asians residing in the United States, rosuvastatin drug levels were found to be elevated approximately 2-fold compared with a Caucasian control group. As a result of these findings, the "Dosage and Administration" section of the label now states that the 5 mg dose of Crestor should be considered as the start dose for Asian patients and any increase in dose should take into consideration the increased drug exposure in this patient population. Results of this pharmacokinetic study are further discussed under the "Clinical Pharmacology" and "Precautions" section of labeling.

You may know that Crestor is an important drug in the statins class, used to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crestor
...treat high cholesterol and related conditions, and to prevent cardiovascular disease.

Crestor is certainly too important to ignore, but it turns out that doctors must take special care with their Asian patients.

I guess when you study moths, you are free to pretend there are no important differences among human populations. Thank God nobody's life is in their hands.

Haim
No representation without taxation.