Date: Oct 11, 2012 1:13 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Topic 5 - The Beginning of the End

I had earlier responded to Robert Hansen's (RH's) post of Oct 11, 2012 12:15 AM - http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7903762 - which I hope our Moderator will see fit to publish.  The following should be emphasized:

RH focuses entirely on "curriculum" - which is actually less than half the issue.

The greater part is "how the learner learns what the teacher believes he is teaching": I believe this is at least as important as "curriculum" - but this apparently is not of any concern to RH in his single-minded focus on "curriculum".

No wonder then, that in schools (in India for sure as well as in the US [I believe]) most of the students come out fearing and/or loathing math - and, in fact, having very little regard for "learning".

It is time that "teachers" learn that "teaching" is less than half the job - the more important part is "how do the students learn what the teacher believes he/she is teaching".

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!" - with apologies if due to Barry Garelick for any tedium caused, and with the observation that this tedium is easily avoided by the simple expedient of not opening any messages purporting to have originated from GSC)