Date: Oct 11, 2012 2:29 PM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: US teachers are overworked and underpaid

I have seen the pay of these teachers you speak of and the class sizes. Both are comparable to ours. Our teachers in our district teach between 4 and 5 hours a day. Are you saying that the finnish teachers teach only 2 to 3 hours a day? Are you saying that the kids go to school only 2 to 3 hours a day? Are you sure of your facts? If this is true then what is stopping us from doing it? If they are teaching the same number of kids the same number of days for roughly the same pay then what is stopping us from doing it exactly the same way? Do they use shifts or something? I don't see much difference at all between the schedules of the two systems. The world over, 180 days 4 to 5 hours a day, more or less, unless you are in 3rd world countries that can't afford  that. Can you be a little more specific on what their schedule looks like?

Bob Hansen