Date: Oct 11, 2012 9:30 PM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: US teachers are overworked and underpaid

Seemed like a very reasonable question Lou. So, are you suggesting that they are saving the money? Where? Actually, at those levels they would be investing it. Again, where?

Not expecting you to do any real work in this discussion, I have done it for you...

It is true, Norway's gross wages are high, very high...

http://mylittlenorway.com/2011/06/how-much-do-people-earn-in-norway/

The average salary in Norway is $80,000, gross.

So where does all that money go?

30% goes to income tax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Average_tax_rates_on_wage_income_in_Norway_2010.JPG

Then there is the VAT, 25% (Twenty Five Percent), 15% on food and drink, 8% on transportation...

http://www.tmf-vat.com/vat/norway-vat.html

Then there is the Big Mac index...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Big_Mac_index_50USD_2columns.png

USA = $4.2
Norway = $6.79

Obviously, you can't pay your employees big money without collecting a like amount plus profit from your customers.

So, how does that look now?

What about gasoline, wait a second, we need a car first. That will cost you $62,000...

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2012/06/13/driving-costs-shift-into-high-gear/

Now the gas for the car...

$9.28 a gallon

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/10/news/international/gas_prices_worldwide/index.htm

Then there is a yearly registration fee of $480, even if it is a junker.

Well, what does this mean for a teacher in Norway?

According to that first link, teachers make an average of $61,000 a year in Norway (compared to $42,000 in the USA).

Let's work it out. In Norway the income tax on $61,000 is $16,470 (27%) leaving you with $44,530. In the USA the income tax on $42,000 is $5,460 (13%) leaving you with $36,540. So the difference in net wages is $7,990. I use 15 gallons of gas a week, which is $7500 a year, in Norway. I guess would drive less in Norway. Actually, if I was a teacher in Norway I probably wouldn't drive at all.

We haven't even looked at the impact of the VAT, the car tax, big macs or every other thing a teacher might buy, that is twice the price in Norway versus the USA.

Now we know where the money goes and why there isn't a rush of people trying to get into Norway.

Sometimes Paul, you amaze me with how long you are able to string us along on BS.

Now I am going to find out about these "teaching hours" you are spouting. I already know your hours for primary teachers here is wrong, our teachers in florida spend less than 5 hours a day teaching, not 6. I kind of hope that the Norwegian teachers do work less hours, because their salary is looking pretty poor at this point. I take it you have never lived in NY. Salaries are high there as well. But it comes at a cost.

Bob Hansen