Date: Oct 12, 2012 12:03 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: US teachers are overworked and underpaid

The 'Education Debate':

Paul A. Tanner III (and others on his side of the debate) claim that US teachers - comparing them with teachers in Japan, Finland, etc - are severely overworked and hugely underpaid.

- -- As a citizen of India (where we generally earn only small fractions of what is earned in the US for equivalent works), I'm unable to judge the reality. Paul Tanner may be right - or he may be wrong. I've tried quite hard to pay proper attention to the welter of figures and inferences provided. I must say I couldn't make out the 'reality' underlying those claims.

Paul Tanner's opponents, on the other hand, mainly make two major points:

1) "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!"
2) "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!"

To my mind, both those demands are unrealistic - and nothing will ever come of them.

We just need to check out the underlying realities:

A: The so-called 'Education Mafia' is comprised of all office holders and members of various Teacher Associations and Unions - I believe the total number of these would amount to something like 3 MMMMMMMillion individual US citizens! I really don't believe even those who most strongly put up this claim have any real hope that US Courts/US citizens at large will accede to this demand.

So why is this demand being made? I guess just for the (dubious) pleasure the proponents may get from hearing their own voices shouting out these impossible demands!

B: The much-reviled 'schools of education' follow a somewhat different 'philosophy of teaching and learning' from that which the main proponents of this demand adhere to. THEREFORE, those 'schools of education' have to be blown up?

I really don't believe the enormous forces of the mighty US governments - federal and state - the Army, Air Force, Navy, the Police Departments, the FBI, CIA, the IRS, the WHY (The "What-Have-You" - including the President and his Canny Administrators and Assorted Bureaucrats) and the state and federal Courts - I really cannot believe that any of these forces will collaborate in any such venture of "BLOWING UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (which do represent a very sizable investment.

So I am then led to inquire why this demand is made. The only answer I can find is that those who put forth this unrealistic demand - very much like the proponents of the earlier demand - just like to hear their own voices shouting out these unrealistic demands.

In my view, Paul Tanner's side clearly wins even though I'm unable to follow much of his argument!

I wonder if any US citizen could do me the favor of pointing out any flaws in my reasoning?

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!" - with apologies if due to Barry Garelick for any tedium caused; and with the humble suggestion that the SIMPLE way to avoid such tedium
is simply to refrain from opening any message purported to originate from GSC)