Date: Oct 12, 2012 2:27 AM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: US teachers are overworked and underpaid

So are you saying that secondary teachers teach 6 hours a day? I can live with that. I am saying that primary teachers teach 5 hours a day. If those are the numbers then I am fine. Now we have to find the numbers for Norway and Japan...

This article says that they go to school from 9:00 to 2:00...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4088838.stm

Note the blurb at the bottom where the teacher union wants more pay if they must be with the students during pre or after care.

And this is an actual school with a schedule (I'll be looking at those math topics later)...

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.blommenholm.skole.no/files/2012/10/ukeplan_41.doc&usg=ALkJrhitb8sNXMc69yqB5O1AjqsQz4NoEA

That link says 8:30 to 1:30. All in all it appears that their primary school day is 1.5 hours less than ours, which would equate to 3.5 teaching hours.

Maybe that is why the Norwegian teacher salary is below average.

Bob Hansen