Date: Oct 12, 2012 10:38 AM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: US teachers are overworked and underpaid

Brevard county is one of the highest paying school districts in FL,
which puts that in the center part of the range for average teacher
salary before benefits.

This is proof that you are wrong and that my citation of FoxNews is
correct, when they say exactly that $44,000 figure is the nationwide
average before benefits.

I'm sorry, Robert, but I know what I'm talking about. That starting
salary and ending salary excluding benefits mentioned above is
perfectly in line with what I knew to be case when I taught in FL just
few years ago.

Teacher pay in the US and in FL especially did not increase 25% over
just a few years time during this past worldwide Great Recession.

We teachers pay attention to these types of things. We want to know
what we will paid down the road if we stick it out.

Not only that, but you really need to look at the OECD statistics for
many countries:

http://www.oecd.org/education/highereducationandadultlearning/48631419.pdf

Look at Table D4.1 - it gives a breakdown of teachers' working time,
the total per week being relatively the same for the countries of
Northern Europe, Japan, Korea, and the US. It shows that you simply do
not have a case that teachers in the US are not overworked in
comparison to them in terms of teaching hours per year, and teaching
hours per week and per day when school is in session. You have to
again recall that the US school year is 180, and it's 190 in Finland,
190 in Norway, 225 in South Korea, and 243 in Japan.