Date: Oct 13, 2012 11:20 AM
Author: Joe Niederberger
Subject: Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"

>The "dot" itself signifies "going within" i.e. has the connotation of "containment". The thing "contains" these properties, these capabilities.

I think such notation is good for signifying a functional relationship between values: X.a = a(X). Attempts to make it "connote" more than that might contribute to misunderstanding. Is your marriage partner inside you or outside you? Is X.spouse OK or not?

A guy names Steve Kent comprehensively exposed the highly contingent and sometimes ambiguous nature of all data modelling in a classic book "Data and Reality."

Joe N