Date: Oct 13, 2012 5:59 PM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: US teachers are overworked and underpaid

A total of only 20 students in all that teacher's classes added together?

If that teacher teaches many different one-hour classes per day, different students in each class, 20 students per class, then do the math - it's more than 20.

The only way a total of 20 is mathematically possible is if that teacher had the exact same 20 kids in all the classes he/she taught each and every day. He/she teaches many different classes to the exact same set of kids each and every day, meaning she teaches all her students all the different subjects? All the teachers in that school do that? They don't have those who are stronger in math and science teach that, have those who are stronger in language arts and such teach that, and so on?

Is that what is going on? I know that some places try this idea of one teacher teaching all subjects to the same set of students, being tried in some places, but it is out of the ordinary - it is not the usual way of doing things, even for elementary school. It is never or almost never done in secondary schools.

Some charter schools or other special schools do this. Is your son's school a charter school?

If this one-teacher-teaching-all-subjects way of doing things is true, then just this by itself definitively proves that your inferences from your school are false - just as I in
said, these and other inferences being to the working hours and their distribution of the average US teacher, primary and especially secondary, and the average teacher in these other countries we talked about, since your school would be not in the norm.

One would think that those of you who preach that there should be teachers (even at the elementary school level) who know really well the subject they teach would not be in favor of having one teacher teach all subjects.

But if your son's teacher is in the usual teaching context, having many different classes each with different students, then why did you reply the way you did? I have *repeatedly* throughout this thread been talking about the total number of students from all classes that a teacher has. (And even without me saying that, talking about 60 or 120 different students clearly means the total from all classes.)