Date: Oct 15, 2012 12:52 PM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: US teachers are overworked and underpaid

On Oct 15, 2012, at 12:40 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

> The number of classes that Japanese students attend per day are about
> 4 for early primary (only about 40-45 minutes each) and about 5 for
> late primary and middle school and above (about 50 minutes each at
> middle school and above), in some cases 6.

That looks very similar to US classes, but I grant you, an hour less. Although our primary schools generally use a single teacher. I wonder how Japan schedules the teachers. Are you saying that they have twice as many teachers as us? It just seems hard to believe that Japanese teachers only teach 2 or 3 hours a day, albeit for many more days in the year than US teachers.

Bob Hansen