Date: Oct 17, 2012 4:34 PM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"

You started generalizing beyond coffee with your "Functional or "to
one" relationships are pretty well understood today, no need to imbue
them with mystical powers of action, or connotations of "belonging to"
or "contained within"" and such, and so the general definitions of
functions are now in play.

And this includes not in terms just of what sets are and are not in
play but of how formulas are related to the use of the term
"function". Some uses of the term refer to the formulas that determine
the set of outputs, and even refer to the output itself as in "y is a
function of x" and so on.