Date: Oct 17, 2012 8:32 PM
Author: Louis Talman
Subject: Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Robert Hansen <> wrote:

How do you handle units? Like 12 miles or 14 hours?

That's a very good question. How does one handle units in general? What
axioms does one use? If there are none, then Robert's earlier question
about an exam is well-posed: "Is this mathematics?"

> How do you show a rational function between polynomials, such that a
> student can see it and simplify it or factor it?

What on earth is "a rational function between polynomials"? Dare I ask, "Is
this mathematics?"?

--Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver