Date: Oct 18, 2012 2:51 AM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"

On Oct 18, 2012, at 12:56 AM, Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:

> More seriously, you surely know that colleges and universities have effective procedures in place for dealing with suspect scholarship. Look up the charlatan, Ward Churchill, to find out how they work. (You can start on my own website, at the URL in my sig. After that, Google is your friend.)

Actually, I looked into that before, via your page (the link isn't working now).

Ghostwriting your ex's book, what horrible luck.

On Oct 18, 2012, at 12:56 AM, Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:

> And, it is important to note, there is typically no restriction on who may lodge such a complaint.

Maybe true, but if you can't get the data you can't lodge a complaint. At least, I wouldn't, no matter how good my sleuthing skills are. Sometimes luck is on my side, like when a state publishes the entire exam, rather than just a few released items, but not often.

One thing I just noticed has to do with the AP exams. As noted in the Bishop/Clopton/Milgram paper, no student at Railside took an AP Calculus or AP Statistics exam. Many students at Hilltop took and passed AP Calculus (in the last year 49 students did). At Greendale, 19 students passed as well. Likewise, a number of students took and passed the AP Statistics exam at these two schools. What I hadn't noticed before is that a number of students were taking AP exams (in subjects other than math) at Railside. And a portion of them passed and a portion of those (~10) scored a 4 or 5. I wonder if they had offered a more traditional class, at least for some of the students at Railside, would they have tackled the AP Calculus/Statistics exam?

It would be interesting to study the AP exam results by school and subject and look for AP Math results that are not correlated with the other AP subject results. The other subjects are not as prone to reform as math is. Maybe that would be a better baseline.

Bob Hansen