Date: Oct 22, 2012 1:18 PM
Author: kirby urner
Subject: Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

>Stanley S. Litow, the president of I.B.M.?s
> >International Foundation, the company?s philanthropic
> >arm, and a former deputy schools chancellor in New York,
> >said that the P-Tech curriculum was mapped backward:
> >I.B.M.?s own employees were analyzed to learn what
> >skills a student would need.

> Who'd a thunk it? What was all that other stuff, these last few decades?
> All those wasted years? All those wasted lives? The stupendous amount of
> money down the drain? Oops! Never mind.
>
> Sometimes, I miss the good old days of the Soviet Union in which a
> person could be hanged for economic crimes.
>
> Haim
> No representation without taxation.

I'd like to analyze your sense of outrage a bit more here.

You are apparently endorsing the idea that what's good for getting a job
with IBM is good for the country (echoing what was said about GM) and
you're actually in favor of molding the curriculum in this way.

Or are you saying that your Mafia is only just now starting to provide more
options wherein a more technical / vocational kind of education is offered.

Didn't or don't your New York schools have a history of offering "shop"
wherein metal working / welding and other such skills are encouraged?

Are we only now extending "shop" to include business machines? Or have
New York secondary schools given students access to business machines going
back to the card punch days? Probably only a few of them if any, right?

One reason I'm asking is I'm somewhat surmising that IBM employees would,
on the whole, be sympathetic to my decade-long campaign to get "dot
notation" introduced as a part of the mathematics we use in STEM.

Dot Notation:
http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2407414
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2012/10/dot-notation-again.html

Growing up to be an IBM person is not the same as growing up to be a
calculus teacher at Cal State and indeed, spending too much time on
calculus to the neglect of other topics, could hold you back from climbing
the corporate ladder.

I associate calculus with that more "liberal arts" ideal wherein you just
need some generic adult numeracy skills that prove you have enough
cylinders for such internal combustion. Calculus is used as a "horsepower
test".

But then whether you actually use it or need it... is not a core issue.
You've proved you have the mental discipline, and that's what they're
looking for.

However, in a school that reverse engineers IBM's corporate culture, I'm
guessing the emphasis on calculus might be a lot less, or at the very least
will be taught differently, with more attention to coding.

Wayne's linear algebra book, with BASIC in the back (dense, uncommented)
was on the right track, ahead of its time lets say. No one seriously
inverts 5 x 5 matrices for a day job without aid of electronic computing,
whether or not that someone wrote the code.

Better that they should at least be able to read it though, especially if
working for IBM.

Kirby