Date: Oct 24, 2012 12:30 PM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: California Algebra

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2012/10/24/09textbooks.h32.html?tkn=XUCFDSi5thMEnMdU2sDsZS9raQ8NNGbB%2BNOp&cmp=clp-sb-nctm

California passed a new algebra law. Can you believe that the legislature is involved in algebra?

1. Every student does not have to take Algebra 1 in 8th grade, they can wait till 9th.

2. Districts do not have to use state approved text books, they can select their own.

Something that really caught my eye was this...

California has joined the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, which is developing tests aligned with the standards.

Mr. Honig said the new tests will be flexible to meet different skill levels.

"Everyone will take the regular common-core assessment," he said. "But what it's going to do, Smarter Balanced, it's going to be adaptive, it can go up as much as two grades or down as much as two grades, so they will have a spectrum of algebra [tested]."

What kind of standard is that? A 4 year spread on the test?

We talked about the adaptive testing used by Smarter Balanced before, but this description is horrid.

Bob Hansen