Date: Oct 28, 2012 9:05 PM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM, kirby urner wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Paul Tanner wrote:
>

>> First, the US became the biggest
>> debtor in the world under Reagan, after
>> he conned so many with the conservative
>> lie that lower tax rates cause government
>> revenues to increase over and above what
>> they would have been with the higher rates. (Adjusted for inflation
>> revenues went up
>> around 17% under Reagan, but were
>> projected to go up roughly twice that
>> had the tax rates stayed the same.)
>>

> Are you talking in absolute dollar terms or as a percent of GDP or
> what? In absolute terms, many nations will barely register just
> because they're so small, even if they're drowning in debt, as you
> know.

It does not matter, since either way, I was addressing what you wrote,
"...Uncle Sam knocks at the door, himself in rags, holding that
begging bowl, debtor to the world." Perhaps you should address your
above questions to yourself.

> Here's a fun graph:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Publicly_Held_Federal_Debt_1790-2009.png

I reply with what I said,

along with the observation that had the tax code essentially stayed
the same as it was before Reagan and all those conned by his con
screwed everything up, with perhaps only some elimination of some
loopholes, none of the debt or deficit problems that have occurred
starting with Reagan would have occurred.

Note that that graph you gave above shows that since WWII the national
debt has trended up in a meaningful way under and only under the tax
codes created under the Republicans Reagan and Bush, and has trended
down under and only under the tax codes created under the Democrats
Roosevelt and Clinton.

This graph is evidence of the fact that US conservatism is about
mainly this: Kill the US Federal Government so that all that is left
is so small it can be drowned in a bathtub (just as they say again and
again) by killing its ability to obtain revenues. These people in many
more ways than one are the "Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy" or
their sympathizers for whom the Civil War against the US Federal
Government never ended - it just became in 1865 a Cold War that has
yet to end.